Passing thought on the (far) future of human labor

November 9, 2010 · Posted in Uncategorized 

What happens when we reach a world where only 10% of people are needed to do actual work? They maintain the robots, the machines the programs. Everyone else is simply not needed. We'll need to seriously consider the possibility that Capitalism will not be possible any longer. We'll need to transition to an "Arts and Leisure" society, with wealth redistributed from the 10% to the other 90%, otherwise, we'll end up either with non-stop riots and genocide or a brutal police state. It'll make the original Luddite riots look like a parade.

Of course, this would be a stopgap to a time when there won't be any quasi-voluntary human labor; we'll even have robots that maintain each other.

Comments

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.